Sandy speaks on matters of life and mirth.
Monkeys are seldom present.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

My Whole Country Has Gone Crazy...

...football crazy!

Don't get me wrong, I love football, and I'm really enjoying the World Cup, (So much so that even as I type this, I'm watching Ecuador vs Costa Rica - a game which is proving suprisingly enjoyable), but something is seriously wrong with thee English people. I say English, because I haven't been in Scotland for a bit - I'll let you know if they're as insane after my brief trip up this weekend. Anyway, as I was saying, England has actually gone mad. I accept that some commercial involvement is inevitable - official sponsors, sportswear manufacturers, etc, but I saw this poster today:

Surely just a harmless piece of patriotism, right? Look closer at the right hand side of the image...

"Official England Supermarket"? What on Earth does an official England supermarket do? Do the players shop there? On second thoughts, they're in Germany right now, so that wouldn't work...unless they shop online, I guess.

The really amusing thing is the way the products are advertised. For instance, I just saw an advert for the special World Cup burger - itself an utterly ridiculous concept - in which the actual burger was onscreen for about three seconds of a thirty second ad spot. The rest of the advert was shots of football fans. nPower is another example. "We provide the Energy, you provide the Electricity." - what? The advert is all shots of celebrating football fans. If you didn't know it was an advert for nPower, you wouldn't have a clue what it was advertising. Madness.

In other news, I've been taking my first steps towards packing today. Clothes? Don't be ridiculous - I've been putting music onto my laptop. Clothes will be packed on the night before...or possibly on the morning of. Less than two weeks to go now...


UPDATE - I just finalised my travel plans. ARRRGGGHHH!

0 comments: